Monday, December 1, 2014

55 Street Days

   Next I would like to talk about growing up  on 55 St. We lived above my fathers , brother and 2 houses up from my mother's sister . We had 6 kids and next door had 7 kids , downstairs 5 kids. Down the street (next avenue) my mothers younger brother 3 kids and my mothers cousin 4 kids and on 7th ave my moms next younger  brother 4 kids and on 54 st her next younger brother 3 kids .....Our maternal grandparents 55th & 4ave , paternal grandparents 62st & 6ave... So basically mostly my whole family and all my cousins were  in walking or yelling distance..I also had paternal uncles and aunts all over the neighborhood..
    It really was incredible having all the people you love in a great big cluster. We did everything together on my mom's side , my dads family was little more spread out , but still in close proximity. I loved the secure feeling this gave me.
 About the time Marge was born (1963) we became like a tribe of our own. Summer time was the time I loved the most, we lived everyday in the park on 6th ave learning street games and sports. Brothers , cousins and many kids from our hood all playing ball.
   There were many guys of impressive talent to watch and learn from, but really my cousins, uncles and brothers ruled that court . At least that what I thought. We also ruled the alleys in back of our houses.
    Summertime was stoop and airyway hang out time. My mom would put Marge in the playpen and she became the mayor of 55th street , as soon as she could talk she was greeting and making pals of eveyone who came by . Hi Margie they would all say, stop to hang for a sec.. While she jumped and rocked like crazy.
    Most times myself and cousin John would hang and make Marge talk and laugh. He too had a spell on her and she couldn't wait to see him. Like myself , John is a guy who could work a room . I also am  under his spell until this day. I think we laughed harder for the first 25years of our lives about every and anything.
   We were blessed with a cast of characters in our hood that was beyond belief .This gave us tons of material to work with . Our circle of friends all had incredible sense of humor . Nothing was off limits.
     Like I mentioned our families did everything together , vacations included so we were constantly hanging out with cousins, and my wacky uncles ,who made us laugh the most. The uncles would play all day on beach with us when we went to Keansburg in 60's..And were always the life of the grownup parties.  Our moms would sing (Steele Sisters) and we would howl. Our folks had a crew of their own on 55th street. They weren't related to us but it seemed like they were. One big happy family
  When it was party time it was EXCELLENT.
These memories are a little random and i don't know if they are of interest.  BUT...

    Like I said in the first blog (mission statement) that writing is new to me so bare with me and as time goes on my memories will be more connected to a specific point ...so if you can ..stay with me ...I could use the company

No comments:

Post a Comment